“The only drama that I enjoy is in my lashes.”
I love makeup as much as the next girl. That said, I am the first to admit that I am no expert. In fact, trying to apply a smokey eye or contour terrifies me as I know I am just not good at it! For this reason, when I have a special occasion or event to attend I always like to get my makeup applied by a professional. I know it will give me an instant confidence boost and I will feel all the better knowing I’ve gotten a helping hand!
I was delighted when I was recently contacted by fellow Clare native Niamh Cavanagh to have my makeup applied. Niamh is a nurse by profession and during her time studying in Galway she enrolled in the School of Make-Up Artistry in Galway. She has since studied with renowned artists such as Derrick Carberry, Kate McCormack and Judy Wong to name but a few. She has also completed a number of courses with Inglot to further enhance her skill and technique. Niamh’s passion for makeup is very evident from her personable approach and attention to detail. She now specialises in evening looks, smokey eye, bridal looks, corrective makeup for eye shapes and era style makeup.
In her own words, “I take great satisfaction in having somebody leave with a smile on their face, excited for what ever they have on and feeling good and confident.”
Niamh spent time chatting to me about what kind of look I wanted. I really wanted the look to focus on my eyes. I asked her for a strong smokey eye with full lashes! She used this strip from Penny’s and they were perfect, lovely and full and the best part, they are not going to break the bank!
I brought my own foundation with me, my trusted Estée Lauder double wear. I find that it is long lasting, gives full coverage and a very matte finish. It’s perfect for an event as you really don’t have to touch up at all!
The Pippa Palette was out in force…its a necessity for your makeup bag!
For a primer she used No 7 airbrush away to give a matte finish and also to give a nice base for the foundation. This product will fill in pores and fine lines which I need as much help as possible with!
The following is a detailed product list of what she used…I need to invest in all of these for my makeup bag!
- Concealer Mac Pro Longwear Concealer NW20 for coverage and also to highlight.
- Powder Mac Prep and Prime Transparent Finishing Powder. This was used to set the base.
- Contour Amour on Pippa’s Palette.
- Blusher Inglot Face Blush, peach colour to match skin tone.
- Highlighter Mac Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skinfinish to give a natural glow. This makes your skin look fresh and glowing.
- Eyes All Pippa Palette. Light brown to crease (Ollie) applied with fluffy blending brush. Darker shade (Tobie) into crease but don’t go as high. Darkest shade (Dodo) to outer corner of eye. She used cream shade (Lily) in inner corner to brighten eye and also used highlighter (Lulu) to give an extra glow.
- Gel liner Inglot Eyeliner Gel 77 to create winged eyeliner and to waterline.
While I had plenty of coverage on the day it was still a nice, natural look. I was very impressed with Niamh’s technique and will be calling upon her services again very soon! As Niamh is a mobile makeup artist she is happy to come to you so an ideal treat for you to get a few friends together before a wedding or even a night out!
Niamh will also go through your own makeup bag and teach you how to use the products you already have, suggesting complimenting colours, advice on what to get and what to avoid. She will go through any look you wish to achieve, either as a private lesson or for group lessons.
She really is such a lovely, genuine girl and I could have stayed chatting and drinking tea with her all day! I wish her all the best on her new adventure and have no doubt that her business will grow from strength to strength!